Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Surtex 2012 Wrap-Up!

Our time spent in New York City last week for the Surtex show was a great experience...filled with meeting many amazingly talented artist and making contacts and connections from companies that I am looking forward to following up with! (Excited to share more about that soon!) After exhibiting last year for the first time at the National Stationery Show I was glad to have had that show under my belt as it made me more aware of the planning process, accommodations, logistics, and everything that goes into it. However, it was our first time to exhibit at Surtex which I was really excited about. So many of the opportunities and blessings that have come over the last year kept us honing into the world of licensing my art. In a way preparing to exhibit reminds me of planning a wedding...there are months and months of preparation, behind the scenes work to make it all happen for the big day! After I registered for Surtex last fall, I wanted to expand beyond the greeting card designs that I've created over the 4 past years and start designing for other products such as fabric collections, giftwrap, giftbags, tabletop concepts, etc. I must say...it has been thrilling!! I have LOVED the new challenge of learning about design for other categories!

Last year I kept having this urge to learn to sew. I am sure having two young little girls influenced that as I see so many cute dresses and think to myself, "gosh, I wish I could make this!"...so after enough thought, I bought myself a sewing machine and started teaching myself how to sew by looking at sewing blog tutorials online. As I was planning for Surtex, I hadn't even connected the two (sewing). But then it donged on me...sewing mock-up samples for my booth so companies that were walking the show could see what my patterns could look like on a pair of little girl pajamas, a backpack, pillows, aprons, and hand towels would be a neat visual! 

My husband Taylor (my best friend, hero and biggest encourager) plays such a vital role for the show as well as just every day life. His support and encouragement for me to spread my wings with my creativity has definitely been a big factor in order for me to be where I am today. Also, my cousin/friend Elizabeth who now lives in NYC graciously helped us set up our booth again this year...so so helpful! Thank you Elizabeth!! It did take us less time this year to set up, but one thing I have found is setting up always takes me longer than I anticipate as well as experiencing things you may not have planned for. When it was complete, I was really excited to see the booth come to life...such a gratifying feeling!

Ta-da!





First day of Surtex! 




 
Remember when I said there are some things that will happen that you don't plan on during a show? This would be one of them.  Despite the leaks coming in from the rain, it ended up not being a big deal since it was just one spot...who knew an umbrella could have so many functions! ;)

 biz postcards...

 candy anyone?

 Meeting Bella Pilar was definitely a cool experience as I have admired her work for years...


 Setting up...

 Elizabeth and Taylor helping set up...

 crazy to see how a booth can come to "life" with some dashes of design, color and some TLC...


 
Also, got to meet up for dinner one night with a good friend I used to work with at my previous job when I sold building materials. (Yes, you heard me right, I used to sell building materials in corporate america) - Isn't it cool how every step we take are stepping stones for us to listen, learn and grow? Feeling so thankful that God has led me to this sweet place...and that He continues to fill me with inspiration, ideas and also uses my little girls, my husband and a community of incredible friendships that add such joy in my life. Excited to see what unfolds next!

No comments: